Thursday, November 24, 2011

I don't want to live on this planet anymore

"When I awoke there was nothing real in this life, but dreams are so intoxicating."

I'm getting real frustrated with University these days, particularly papers. I know that my prose is fairly loose and I don't pretend to be great. But my efforts haven't been correlating with grades, I might as well just fuck around with each paper because the marks are coming back random anyways.

This frustration was sparked by a paper I just got back that was graded by a grad student who left no correction marks on the essay. For fuck's sake, she doesn't have the experience grading enough papers to "just know" what a good paper is. AND, even she did, you still need to two things 1) justify the grade you give by exposing weaknesses and 2) help improve the students writing skills by offering suggestions.

Our education system is supposed to be about EDUCATION, that means teaching people things, through lectures, tests, and papers. People can only learn if they know what they did wrong. Arbitrary numbers should NOT be the focus, but it is. I'm going to school to get credits for a degree, university and society doesn't care if I learn anything. They want me to get "good numbers" and not "bad numbers". But the assigning of numbers is so fucking subjective, yet in the long run everyone takes them as objective.

I hate this fucking planet and the people that inhabit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment